Links to WinstonWebNews

Friday, March 4, 2016

Politically Correct- Green Beans?



What could be more innocuous than green beans? As a food, they are about as plain and simple and politically correct as anything I can imagine. I mean they even have the socially responsible word “green“ in their name. But then Facebook is a truly different world.

I saw what appeared to be a tasty recipe for green beans posted by an individual on my timeline a couple of days ago. I read it- it looked pretty good and then I saw a long list of comments. Thinking that I could find out if others liked it, I started reading a few. Most comments were pretty standard - “Like it” – “good but try it with this ingredient or that ingredient”, etc. But then it got weird.
Someone made a rather snide comment about overcooking the beans (like we do in the South) and as how that was socially irresponsible and cooked all the nutrients out of the dish. Many folks rushed to the defense of the recipe poster but somehow the conversation turned – drastically .
It somehow became a platform for social causes such as a need to provide more for the poor and food quality in soup kitchens. Someone enough posted their manifesto against human consumption of milk which was strange because the recipe didn’t call for any milk products. But when your cause is “milk is poison” and “we’re stealing milk from all those baby cows”, I guess you take your shot wherever you can.
All I can say is that some of us just ain’t right.

No comments:

Post a Comment